Req. for soundbites

bob bruen bruen at wizard.mit.edu
Mon Feb 12 06:55:21 PST 1996

   For what it's worth department:

   The four letter words that are considered indecent are an anachronism
   from the days when the French/Normans ruled England, (~1066-1300's).
   A quick look at the words and their acceptable counterparts will make
   clear the issue. The four letter word are all of English derivation and
   the socially acceptable ones are of French (sometimes Latin) derivation.
   Even the term "four-letter" is a derogatory term for the English language
   in general, because the French considered English second rate because the
   words tended to be short, unlike French. Anyone who supports the suppression
   of these words is merely enforcing the old French repression of the English
   and the English language from over 500 years ago. Why think for yourself
   when tradition can do it for you?

    eg:
      to piss  - to urinate
      to shit  - to deficate
      to fuck  - to copulate
      cunt     - vagina

        etc.

     All of them, folks, all of them and easily checked out.

----------------
Bob Bruen
MIT
Lab for Nuclear Science
77 Massachusetts Ave.
Cambridge MA 02139
voice: 617.253.6065
fax: 617.258.6591
On Fri, 9 Feb 1996, David K. Merriman wrote:
> A local TV station has asked me for an interview, after I sent a graphic
of a mono-digital hand gesture with the phrase "censor this!" to the Prez,
Veep, and the area congresscritters (cc'd to 2 TV stations and a radio
station), accompanied by a 'confession' and demand for swift prosecution.