V-chips, CC, and Motorcycle Helmets

Deranged Mutant WlkngOwl at UNiX.asb.com
Mon Feb 12 05:00:03 PST 1996

> Parents had that ability before.  Cable boxes have a "perental control key"
> on the side that enables them to lock out "offensive" channels.  It works
> quite well and is fairly hard for the kidlets to defeat.  (I used it to
> lockout the religious stations and home shopping channels.)

When I was a kid some friends down the street knew how to unlock the
Channel 100 XXX movies with a paper clip.  A V-chip would hopefully
be more sophisticated, but then again, so are today's kids...

> The "V-Chip" debate is a mirror of the one that occured when the cable
> channels were starting to become popular.  There was a big hue and cry about
> kids getting to the "naughty" channels without parent concent.  Seems most
> people do not even learn how the lockouts work.  (And are too lazy to learn.)

You should check out your nearest H/P BBS or ftp-site...

> You have to remember that most of the people arguing for TV filters are
> looking for a way to make the "offensive" stuff go away for good.  (Either
[..]

A very good point.  One that makes me wary of V-Chips...

--- "Mutant" Rob <wlkngowl at unix.asb.com>

Send a blank message with the subject "send pgp-key"
(not in quotes) for a copy of my PGP key.