Selling the Sizzle of Crypto

Timothy C. May tcmay at got.net
Sun Feb 11 10:45:31 PST 1996

At 4:47 PM 2/11/96, Deranged Mutant wrote:

>I caught the last few seconds of a CNN story on FVs FUD this morning. It
>followed with the RSA selling crypto to China story, where they clearly
>opted for soundbytes... the cut Phil Z's words short when he was talking
>about the benefits of crypto... they asked him something about why crypto
>is good for national security and you hear him say a few economic things
>but then he's cut off (probably before he can mention personal freedom as
>benefitting national security... but that's only a guess).

I'm just about giving up on the "infotainment" media for ever getting the
facts straight. Just not enough time, and they go for the most provocative
statements to make the story "interesting."

Even a longer format such as on the Newshour with Jim Lehrer (formerly the
MacNeil-Lehrer Newshour) can barely get a coherent story on crypto and
cyberspace issues out. If they interview several people, then maybe Mike
Godwin will get 60 seconds, Kathy Cleaver will get 60 seconds, and then
some rebuttal. No way to get the key ideas across.

Ironically, there is some hope. I just got an "academic" paper to review,
and one of the main URLs cited was Steven Levy's "Crypto Rebels" piece (the
URL is http://www.hotwired.com/wired/1.2/features/crypto.rebels.html). I
may be biased about this article, but I still think it to be the best
introductory article on the crypto controversy.

Academics citing popular articles!

Well, Levy's article is a very good, and insightful, exposition of the
issues and the coming battle between the two opposing points of view. (And
it shows that popular-oriented articles need not be solely devoted to
flash, sizzle, and outrageous comments, that ideas can be explored and
positions contrasted.)

Just thought I'd say something positive about journalism.

--Tim May

Boycott espionage-enabled software!