Privacy Without Tears

lunaslide at loop.com lunaslide at loop.com
Sat Feb 10 18:21:47 PST 1996

>Since it wouldn't do me any good to write code (I've _seen_ my code, it's not
>pretty), I'm writing in English instead. :-)
>
>I've started work on what I currently call Privacy Without Tears, a guide to
>PGP and related programs pitched specifically at a novice audience. I would
>appreciate comments, particularly in the fact-checking line (more on this in
>a  moment). I'd also appreciate anyone who feels like it passing the URL I'll
>give in a moment on to crypto newbies and seeing if they can follow the
>instructions and get good results.

<snip for brevity>

>The URL (for the moment):
>
>http://www.aracnet.com/~bruce/privacy/privacy.html

I've already talked to Bruce through private email and told him I would
start working on a peice for Mac users.  We are on a quest to get people to
use PGP, and it does not have anything to do with platform wars.  If you
have comments, take it to me in private emails.

The point of posting this is a) to let Mac readers of this list know that
they can refer to their Mac friends to the link for info and b)because I
had an idea after talking to Bruce of a great way to get the word spread
even further...

If everyone not only has a link to these pages in text, but also has their
"PGP secured!", or similar little graphic on their pages, linked to these
sites as well, it would save a lot of people a lot of redundant explaining
and it would help spread the word about PGP like wildfire to the masses.
You could also put a "Click for more info on Pretty Good Privacy(tm)" right
next to it to get more people to look.  _This_ is the way to get widespread
attention to and usage of PGP.  The pages on PGP would be linked to each
other and to pages on freedom of speech and privacy and the word would go
far.  By placing a link on your page to the PGP page through the graphic,
you will be placing a link to dozens, eventually hundreds, of pages
detailing PGP as well as sources dedicated to freedom and privacy.

Someone on the list made a comment a bit ago about just having regular old
text on the site to say "PGP secures", but people respond to the graphics
more than anything on web pages.  They want to be able to click everything.
This would be the key.  In the early days of Christianity in Rome,
Christians would sometimes communicate to each other by the use of the
small simple "fish" illustration that you see on cars everywhere.  This
will be our symbols power as well, the communication of a message.

lunaslide

"Prohibition... goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to
control a man's appetite by legislation and makes a crime out of things
that are not crimes... A prohibition law strikes a blow at the very
principles upon which our government was founded."
- -- Abraham Lincoln

On the meridian of time there is no injustice, only the poetry of motion
creating the illusion of truth and drama.
                                                Henry Miller

Digitally sign your mail too!