Need a "warning" graphic of some kind for CDA

Simon Spero ses at tipper.oit.unc.edu
Sat Feb 10 02:23:46 PST 1996

This post rated SB for Southern Babe. My credit rated NC-17.

On Thu, 8 Feb 1996, Bill Stewart wrote:

>         Before Bill Clinton signed the Exon Internet Censorship Bill,
>                 Tipper Gore brought you Music Censorship.
>         Uncle Frank says "<quote here>"

No she didn't! She brought us voluntary labelling, which is completely
different. Some local governments have then tried to use those labels to
commit censorship, but that's illegal. Ms. Gore's attitude is and always
has been that parents should be responsible.

 Exon's CDA (Chicks, Dicks, and Arseholes) is different because it
restricts content by law, including material protected by the first
ammendment.

 The Administration has repeatedly stated its belief that those parts of
the bill are unconsitutional, and does not intend to enforce them.
Unfortunately, because the rider was attached to such an incredibly
corporately popular bill, it would have been politically impossible to
veto it for this, epecially since they believe that the courts will throw
out the (ir)relevant parts. These corporate interests in getting the bill
past also make's those who did vote against the bill in the house and
senate especially deserving of praise; they won't be getting many
Telebucks this year. maybe CypherPAC can reward them?

Simon