cypherpunks press

Don don at cs.byu.edu
Thu Feb 8 04:36:08 PST 1996

lunaslide at loop.com sez:

> I am too, but the other half of my major is philosophy.  I can't help BSing
> about the social issues too.....which seems to be common on the list.
> Perhaps there is a compromise since there seem to be interests on the part
> of both parties?  Like cypherpunks-tech at toad,com.  Any words?

I think social issues are appropiate. I'm just giving examples (and I think
Perry throws himself to the floor when he sees this stuff come across the
list) where people chain: cryptograpy->war advantage->war ended with nukes->
many people killed->morality of killing those people->can'twealljustgetalong

My feeling is that near the "war ended with nukes" and beyond belongs in email.

Speaking of social implications, however, I notice that yahoo has blacked
their page to protest CDA. That is a major PR point right there. I hope
enough big, visible places do so as well. Hopefully this will get some kind
of real press. Probably "Major firms voice support for raping of children" or
something, knowing the slant they tend to put on things...

My feeling is that once stealth PGP is out, there's *no*way* Congress could
get away with legislating away the privacy and security that would provide.

Don

ObReallyNoisyNow: I wonder how long it will be until crypto/stego/hidden
messages/no fear of accessing forbidden sites takes off in China... Yeah
right like they're going to be able to keep track of the number of people
that are eventually going to have internet.