paper on remailers in the intelligence community

sameer sameer at c2.org
Wed Feb 7 16:06:24 PST 1996

http://www.strassmann.com/pubs/anon-remail.html

	A friend at Hotwired (yes, he's still my friend even though he
works for Hotwired) pointed me to some FUD which led Futplex to the
above paper.
	It's an interesting viewpoint.. salient quotes:

"By far the greatest threat to the commercial, economic and political
viability of the Global Information Infrastructure will come from
information terrorists. "

"Anonymous re-mailers are here to stay. Like in the case of many
virulent diseases, there is very little a free society can do to
prohibit travel or exposure to sources of infection. The best one can
do is to start treating the pathologies inherent in the Internet in
the same way as we have learned to deal with infectious
epidemics. That calls for constructing new institutions and processes
that are analogues to inoculation, immunization, prophylactics, clean
water supply, sewers, hygiene, early detection of outbreaks of
diseases, quarantine, the offices of health examiners, the Center of
Disease Control and the World Health Organization."

"As in the case of smallpox, yellow fever, flu epidemics, AIDS or
malaria, it will take disasters before the public may accept that some
forms of restrictions on the electronic freedom of speech and privacy
may be worthwhile."

--
Sameer Parekh					Voice:   510-601-9777x3
http://www.c2.org/ (or login as "guest")		sameer at c2.org