Why am I wrong?

A. Padgett Peterson, P.E. Information Security PADGETT at hobbes.orl.mmc.com
Tue Feb 6 13:52:26 PST 1996

>I don't think that I am stating a position of cypher-anarchy, but
>advocating a position of personal privacy guaranteed by the Fourth
>Amendment.

Don't forget the other side of the conversation. While the government
cannot (notice I did not say they might not try) effectively control
communication, there are other points at which control may be exerted:

1) communications *with* the government (IRS, Social Security, etc).
2) communications using someone else's equipment/network (university,
   employer, etc)
3) communications with anyone (Internet merchant, etc) who says "this
   is not what <MasterCard|Visa|AmEx> approves..."

Each of these may have compelling reasons for complying with what the
government wants even if it is not law. IMNSHO "law" is just a means
for exacting retribution/revenge - if you have to resort to it, you
have already lost.
						Warmly,
							Padgett