Fair Credit Reporting Act and Privacy Act

Clay Olbon II olbon at dynetics.com
Tue Feb 6 06:38:42 PST 1996

In discussions regarding privacy of personal information, Tim Philp has
advocated a "privacy law" similar to those in Europe.  My response is - why
do we always need a law to protect ourselves?  Nowadays the first solution
always appears to be run to mommy govt and ask for help.  In this case
there is clearly the potential for market based solutions.  The problem now
is that there is almost no market!  If people were truly interested in
privacy, there would be a "privacy credit card" and "privacy health care"
that refused to give out information except upon the approval of the
individual concerned.  Once people become interested in their privacy, I
think these sorts of things will appear.

A place where laws are clearly applicable however is in limiting the amount
and type of info the government can gather.

my 2 cents,

        Clay

Clay Olbon II            | olbon at dynetics.com
Systems Engineer         | ph: (810) 589-9930 fax 9934
Dynetics, Inc., Ste 302  | http://www.msen.com/~olbon/olbon.html
550 Stephenson Hwy       | PGP262 public key: finger olbon at mgr.dynetics.com
Troy, MI 48083-1109      | pgp print: B97397AD50233C77523FD058BD1BB7C0
    "To escape the evil curse, you must quote a bible verse; thou
     shalt not ... Doooh" - Homer (Simpson, not the other one)