Germany investigates AOL for providing Zundelaccess

Rich Graves llurch at networking.stanford.edu
Sat Feb 3 01:20:28 PST 1996

On Sat, 3 Feb 1996, James A. Donald wrote:

> At 07:34 PM 2/2/96 -0500, Declan B. McCullagh wrote:
> >      America Online spokesman Ingo Reese in Hamburg said his company
> > also was happy to work with the prosecutors. The company is ``totally
> > opposed'' to illegal propaganda, he said,
>
> They target the gutless, in order to create precedents
> without having to go to court.
>
> You will recall that AOL also shopped its customers to the
> feds over child pornography.

Didn't they have a court order? Sure they could have resisted, but they
didn't bend quite so far over backwards that they were really bending over
forwards.

This is an exapmple of the kind of defeatist attitude that I think is
counterproductive. Instead, say:

"With all the press attention being paid to censorship issues right now,
with the ridiculously Unconstitutional so-called Communications Decency
Act and so on, even America 'Online' is not likely to be so stupid and
spineless as to buckle under now. Ferchrissakes, the guy who runs
webcom.com is the grandson of a Holocaust victim; he deserves everyone's
undying respect for his commitment to the freedoms of someone he so
despises, and is simply not going to lose business because of this stand.
We won't let it happen."

-rich