Voice On the Net Digest V2 #44

tedwards at access.digex.net tedwards at access.digex.net
Fri Feb 2 11:20:29 PST 1996

> From: "Shane D. Mattaway" <shane at netspeak.com>
> Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 07:12:32 -0500
> Subject: [VON]: WebPhone Beta 6 Release

> AUDIO ENCRYPTION
> All audio transmissions are encrypted to provide secure conversations
> without any performance overhead. Encryption is accomplished using a
> proprietary algorithm.

If the encryption is secure, there is no need to have "security through
obscurity."

I rather doubt that the makers of WebPhone have invented a proprietary
encryption method that actually provides a high level of security.  Most
truly secure encryption methods (DES, RSA, IDEA) are presented for peer
review for years before the academic and cryptographic communities deem
them to be reasonably secure.

It is easy to claim you have a secure encryption algorithm - but most such
algorithms turn out later to have serious security holes.  Only some
manage to hold up to their security claims under close academic analysis.

PGPfone's encryption methods are available for public inspection, and are
generally accepted by the cryptographic community to be secure.

-Thomas Edwards