RC2 Source Code - Legal Warning from RSADSI

Ray Arachelian sunder at dorsai.dorsai.org
Fri Feb 2 08:23:22 PST 1996

On Fri, 2 Feb 1996, Tony Iannotti wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Feb 1996, Rich Salz wrote:
>
> > At any rate, I'll stop my comparison of the distributed RC2 and the
> > licensed RC2 since RSA's done it for us. :)
>
> What if it's just a ruse by them to ID it as RC2? They could have even
> released a bogus version themselves, and then sent up a hue and cry....

There's an easy test.. set up the real RC2 to encrypt data and have this
one decrypt it, then reverse the two, use different keys, etc...  a few
thousand rounds should give a strong indication if this is the true RC2.

It doesn't mean that it wasn't rigged to produce weak keys and such,
however a closer analysis of the source will point that out. :)

 + ^ + |  Ray Arachelian |Emptiness is loneliness, and loneliness|  _ |>
  \|/  |sunder at dorsai.org|is cleanliness  and cleanliness is god-|  \ |
<--+-->|                 |liness and god is empty,  just like me,|   \|
  /|\  |    Just Say     |intoxicated  with the maddness,  I'm in|   <|\
 + v + | "No" to the NSA!|love with my sadness.   (Pumpkins/Zero)|   <| n