FV Demonstrates Fatal Flaw in Software Encryption of Credit Cards

David Mazieres dm at amsterdam.lcs.mit.edu
Thu Feb 1 06:18:44 PST 1996

> Changing the subject doesn't change the point.  Your announcement implies
> that users are liable, and that is incorrect.  This is misleading, and in
> my view, reprehensible.  This was the point of my post.  The fact that
> the fraud is traceable when detected should have been self evident.

I think there is an even stronger point to be made.  We can be
relatively sure that VISA is not going to go out of business any time
soon.  On the other hand, if an E-mail intercepting virus lost FV tons
of money, FV might conceivably go belly up sticking their customers
with the bill.  With FV, there might indeed be a risk to the user.

David