New crypto regs outlaw financing non-US development

Lucky Green shamrock at netcom.com
Tue Dec 31 18:10:50 PST 1996

At 01:05 PM 12/31/96 -0800, Ian Goldberg wrote:

>In article <3.0.32.19961228225731.006b3080 at netcom13.netcom.com>,
>Lucky Green  <shamrock at netcom.com> wrote:
>>First the good news: the export controls mentioned in the draft of the regs
>>on any kind of data security software, regardless if it uses crypto or not
>>did not carry into the final version.
>
>But it _specifically_ restricts virus-checkers (and, also, it would seem,
>backup programs, but that could be stretching it):
>
>ECCN 5D002.c.3:
># ``Software'' designed or modified to protect against malicious
># computer damage, e.g., viruses

My mistake. I overlooked this paragraph. I thought it had not made it into
the final version. Virus checkers, programs like Tripwire, and all firewall
products are export controlled under the new regs. Regardless if the
program uses crypto or not.

-- Lucky Green <mailto:shamrock at netcom.com> PGP encrypted mail preferred
   Make your mark in the history of mathematics. Use the spare cycles of
   your PC/PPC/UNIX box to help find a new prime.
   http://www.mersenne.org/prime.htm