Hardening lists against spam attacks

Peter Hendrickson ph at netcom.com
Tue Dec 31 14:23:25 PST 1996

At 1:01 PM 12/31/1996, Z.B. wrote:
>On Tue, 31 Dec 1996, Dale Thorn wrote:
>> ...I will *not* install and run PGP.

> I agree with Dale here...requiring PGP in order to post would probably
> deter low-level, idiot spammers, but it would also keep those people off
> the list who, for one reason or another, don't like/want/use PGP.

People who don't like using PGP, or can't use it, or won't use it,
do not belong on this list.

> Also, what about people who post to and read the list from someplace other
> than their home computer, like school or work?  I have access to this account
> from my college, but I'm sure not going to leave my keys lying around
> my account just so I can post to a mailing list.

Easy.  Keep a copy of PGP there and a copy of the list public key.
It's okay to leave public keys lying around.

I might add that this is not "just a mailing list."  It is the
Cypherpunks mailing list.  It's worth a little trouble.  If you don't
agree, find a list which is.

Peter Hendrickson
ph at netcom.com