Reflections on the Bernstein ruling

Carl Johnson toto at sk.sympatico.ca
Thu Dec 26 03:22:47 PST 1996

jim bell wrote:

> However, if being "on the Internet" is automatically presumed to be an
> export, why can't we program using remote-control editors which might,
> someday, be available on the Internet?

  If I wanted to export an unexportable program, I would put it on my
machine
as 'happyface.zip', and then make sure that god-and-everybody spread the
word
that it was available under that title.
  I don't believe there is a prosecutor alive that can convince a jury
of twelve
mostly non-technically oriented people that someone should be put in
prison for
not knowing the content of every single non-text file on their machine.