Legality of requiring credit cards?

Brian Davis bdavis at thepoint.net
Wed Dec 25 22:07:41 PST 1996

On Tue, 24 Dec 1996, Dale Thorn wrote:

> jim bell wrote:
> > At 03:29 PM 12/24/96 -0500, Brian Davis wrote:
> > >On Tue, 24 Dec 1996, Dale Thorn wrote:
> > >Be especially carefully of structuring a $10,000+ transaction into
> > >smaller transactions in an attempt to circumvent the reporting
> > >requirements.  Doing so ("structuring a transaction") is a felony.
>
> > Actually, this kind of stunt fully justifies whatever level of lethal
> > punishment  that the public will one day direct at these thugs.  Look at
> > what you just said, paraphrased by me:
>
> [snip]
>
> I was surprised at this "settlement" thing.  I'd sure like to get more
> detail on that.  A pointer would be *most* appreciated.

There is no case published if that's what you are seeking.  The local
paper ran a short article about the forfeiture.  And the Treasury
Department issued a national press release on the first civil monetary
penalty levied against an individual for a violation of the Bank Secrecy Act.

The decision on how to resolve it was the result of prosecutorial discretion.

EBD