Legality of requiring credit cards?

Dale Thorn dthorn at gte.net
Wed Dec 25 19:03:25 PST 1996

jim bell wrote:
> At 03:29 PM 12/24/96 -0500, Brian Davis wrote:
> >On Tue, 24 Dec 1996, Dale Thorn wrote:

[snip]

In one of these posts there was a reference to large amounts of small
change (specifically pennies) being legal tender...

When my dad ran a bread truck in the 1950's, a mafia character who had
a bad day paid him $20 or so in pennies, and my dad said he took it with
little argument.  However, I have heard from a few places years ago that
pennies over a certain quantity may be refused as not legal tender.

There were posts here which suggested that cash of any kind may not have
to be accepted under certain conditions.  I wish this was clearer, or I
could know for sure if these were gray areas, at least in certain
jurisdictions....