domestic laws/policies

Bill Frantz frantz at netcom.com
Tue Dec 24 16:37:23 PST 1996

At 4:02 PM -0800 12/24/96, bobbi wrote:
>I got asked a question the other day and that person emphatically stated
>you "must" register the algorithm with the NSA(for domestic use).
>I was not aware of this even for exporting software that has cryptographic
>capability. If you export software do you have to "register" the
>algorithm? Or maybe I should ask - are there any situations where you do
>have to register the algorithm? For export I'm only aware that the
>strength of the algoritm has to be equal to or less than 40-bit DES.

You have to describe the algorithm as part of getting an export license, or
commodity jurisdiction.  Since this description must be in sufficient
detail so a reader can implement the algorithm, this description might
properly be described as "registration".

Bill Frantz       | Client in California, POP3 | Periwinkle -- Consulting
(408)356-8506     | in Pittsburgh, Packets in  | 16345 Englewood Ave.
frantz at netcom.com | Pakistan. - me             | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA