Legality of requiring credit cards?

Dale Thorn dthorn at gte.net
Tue Dec 24 09:15:17 PST 1996

Adam Shostack wrote:
> jonathon wrote:
> | On Mon, 23 Dec 1996, Steve Schear wrote:
> | > If you want hassle-free shopping use legal tender (except for rentals>

> |   Not always true. Go shopping with a wad of $100.00 bills.
> |   Most stores don't accept them, regardless of the amount of purchase,
> |   without additional ID.

> Did they require statist ID? (Speaking of which, is a state university
> student ID considered 'government issued?' How about a faculty or staff ID card?)
> "Never had a problem paying with hundreds either.  Maybe its my 'You
> will need to get your manager' attitude."

It's been my experience in the L.A. area as well as elsewhere in the
U.S. that stores will take hundreds if the purchase is a significant
fraction of a $100 bill, or more than $100.  I've also found that
restaurants, for example, will nearly always take a $100 if the check
is over $20, and some will take it when the check is less than $20.
Common sense is the key, i.e., if the tab is $101, and you give them
two $100 bills, expecting $99 change, expect some static.

In spite of the brainwashed multitudes' attitudes about carrying cash,
and standing like beggars in an ATM line where muggers are prowling
nearby, the L.A. authorities actually urge(!) people to carry a few
hundred dollars at least in case of earthquake or other emergency.

Recently when I was in my bank drawing out some cash and getting change
(in a way that I suppose customers don't normally do), the teller made
a snide remark about my habits, so I raised my voice and said "Remember
the adage 'possession is 9/10 of the law?', well, when you possess my
money it's really your money, and I don't like that.  I'm withdrawing
my money, OK?"  That was the one and only time they made any remarks.