Encryption ?

Vin McLellan vin at shore.net
Sun Dec 22 15:04:11 PST 1996

Shark <otaner at boun.edu.tr> wrote:

> I am a Mathematic student at Bosphorus University in Turkey.
> I am interested in both computer applications and mathematical base of
> encryption.Where can I find this kind of staff on internet.

> Is it necessary to have high level of mathematical background in order to
> deal with encryption??

	No, you do not need a phd or the like to deal with the fundamental
issues of access and implementation in cryptography, nor to appreciate
the elegant logical structures of cryptographic protocols and designs.

	Yes, you do need sophisticated math skills to, say, evaluate the
relative strength of cryptographic algorithms and protocols -- but few
have those skills... and many more of us, nonetheless, have to make
decisions. So we rely on the opinions of those we come to trust in these
esoteric matters.

	I highly recommend two Finnish websites:

	<http://www.modeemi.cs.tut.fi/~avs/eu-crypto.html> and
	<http://www.cs.hut.fi/ssh/crypto>

	(AVS, at the first, has a great selection of pre-set web-searches which
can refocus your query into categories which are particularly relevant
to Europeans and non-Americans.)  There are also treasure-laden FTP
sites in Holland <ftp://utopia.hacktic.nl/pub/replay/pub/> and the UK:
<ftp://ftp.ox.ac.uk/pub/crypto/> among many valuable international
sites.

	If your bent is toward applied crypto, see the COAST archive at:
<http://www.cs.purdue.edu/coast/coast.html> You might also want to visit
the SDTI/RSA website <http://www.rsa.com> for their FAQ and archive, and
the Quadralay site <http://www.austinlinks.com/crypto/) where, among the
C'punk references, you'll find the sci.crypto FAQ.

	A websearch (e.g.
<http://www.yahoo.com/Computers_and_Internet/Security_and_Encryption/Cryptography/>)
will retrieve, among other treasures, a number of "introductions to
cryptography" for beginners and others.  When you narrow your interests,
look for FAQs (frequently asked queston) files on a specific topic: for
example, SSL, or SMIME, or S-HTTP)

	As you've doubtless noticed, the Internet as a whole is painfully
US-centric (and some inhabitants of little virtual villages like C'punks
are often so enamored with their own self-image that they refuse to be
distracted by anything else;-) C'punks desperately needs someone with
the wit of Nasser Hodin Hodja -- but I also think you caught a couple of
guys on a "bad hair day" or something. Folks here are generally more
responsive to people jumping the language and cross-cultural barriers.

	The Net as a whole is very open. There is a great willingness to share,
help, and respond; even with "newbie" inquiries.  Experts in the field
regularly step in to nudge a discussion and, sometimes, even restate the
basics.  You'll do better if you do a little work one your own, and
_then_ reach out and ask for further clarification or additional
pointers.

	Görü sürüz,
			_Vin
--
         Vin McLellan +The Privacy Guild+ <vin at shore.net>
      53 Nichols St., Chelsea, Ma. 02150 USA Tel: (617) 884-5548