The Ebonic Plague

Declan McCullagh declan at eff.org
Sat Dec 21 11:04:44 PST 1996

It was Hayek who wrote: "We have no intention, however, of making a
fetish of democracy. It may well be true that our generation talks and
thinks too much of democracy and too little of the values which it
serves... Democracy is essentially a means, a utilitarian device for
safeguarding internal peace and individual freedom. As such it is by no
means infalliable or certain. Nor must we forget that there has often
been much more cultural and spiritual freedom under an autocratic rule
than under some democracies -- and it is at least conceivable that under
the government of a very homogenous and doctrinare majority democractic
government *might be as oppressive as the worst dictatorship.* [emphasis
mine -DBM]."

-Declan

// declan at eff.org // I do not represent the EFF // declan at well.com //