Executing Encrypted Code

Andrew Loewenstern andrew_loewenstern at il.us.swissbank.com
Fri Dec 20 15:26:04 PST 1996

Peter Hendrickson writes:
>  I would expect software prices to drop because everybody using
>  the software would be paying for it.

I don't mean to sound rude or insult you personally, but this is utterly
absurd.  If everyone is paying for the software then the company would be
making even MORE money.  Only a fool would want to make less money!!  If money
wasn't important to these people they wouldn't be in the business of selling
software in the first place!

Aside from putting a gun to people's heads, the only thing that lowers prices
is competition.

>  It is not out of the question for software vendors to sell
>  two versions of the same software.  One is the piracy-free
>  version and the other is the copy-as-much-as-you-can version.
>  I would expect the piracy-free version to be substantially
>  cheaper.

That would render the entire scheme pointless.  It only takes _____ONE_____
copy of the software to get out for the whole world to pirate it.

andrew