Executing Encrypted Code

Andrew Loewenstern andrew_loewenstern at il.us.swissbank.com
Fri Dec 20 14:19:31 PST 1996

I think this whole idea of encrypted software and processors is pretty poorly
thought out.  How do you handle an organization with a site license for
20,000 users of a piece of software?  Do you issue 20,000 unique copies?  Do
you really think the lower price of the software is going to offset the cost
of an organization to manage all those processor certificates?  Site licensed
software is already about as cheap as the companies are willing to sell it.
How about the extra hard drive space you have to purchase because you can't
just keep one copy on a server anymore?  Think about what a nightmare it would
be to update a piece of software on 20,000 machines simultaneously!!  It's
hard enough to do it now!!

What happens if a software company goes out of business?   You are then
completely screwed when your processor dies or becomes obsolete.  Around here
we still run a few pieces of ancient hardware that were pretty pathetic back
in 1988.  The software on them is critical but won't run on anything else and
there is no source code available.  Believe me, nobody here would dare to make
that mistake again!!!  At least with our current situation if the hardware
dies we would probably be able to find a replacement (and I'm sure there are
some replacements waiting in the stock room...).  But with your encrypted
processor we couldn't even do that!

It seems to me that this is yet another scheme that basically does nothing
but seriously inconvenience the software user.  Much like clipper, I believe
this is a dog that won't hunt!!

Perhaps instead of trying to find a way to force users into paying, software
companies should concentrate on how offer more value and make their prices
seem more attractive.  Even with piracy, the software industry is far and away
the most profitable of all!!

andrew