Houghton-Mifflin wants spam in exhange for publicity

Dave Kinchlea security at kinch.ark.com
Thu Dec 19 09:50:52 PST 1996

On Wed, 18 Dec 1996, Timothy C. May wrote:

> Which part was the "excellent idea," falling for the spam of a commercial
> company or copying a long message and only adding the stupid "excellent
> idea" comment?

In defence of my sister, I do not know how she managed to add
cypherpunks to her reply, I certainly didn't send it to the list, but
she has used email for a total of 1 week to date -- shit happens and we
all learn and make mistakes.

As to your point, I disagree completely. While I am quite aware that I
will get email spam because of sending a message to Houghton-Mifflin, it
is worthwhile IMHO. I do believe that they will live up to their
commitments and some kids will get books they otherwise wouldn't.

I will/do agree that cypherpunks was an inappropriate place to send the
spam to begin with.

cheers, kinch