!! Point 'n Crypt -- Win95 Privacy for Everyone !!

Peter Trei trei at process.com
Thu Dec 19 07:53:27 PST 1996

> From:          Walt Armour <walt at blarg.net>

> Subject:       RE: !! Point 'n Crypt -- Win95 Privacy for Everyone !!

> Security through obscurity is no security at all.
>
> As for PnC (actually, the scCryptoEngine beneath it), we get the 40 bits
> from the 56 bits by nulling out the high nybble of every other byte.
>
> walt
>
> ----------
> From: 	Peter Trei[SMTP:trei at process.com]

> Would you mind telling us just how you expand the 40 key to the 56
> bits needed for DES? (Security through obscurity has a bad rep on
> this list). For many  methods of doing so, 40bit DES is NOT
> secure against a motivated individual's attack.
>
> Peter Trei
> trei at process.com

Thanks for being so forthcoming!

There are methods for using 40 bit keys that are a lot better than
this. My contention stands: 50 200MHz Pentiums *WILL* crack this
overnight. A single 100 MHz Pentium will do it in a month. (This
assumes a known plaintext attack in EBC or CBC mode).

Not utterly trivial, but well within the means of a motivated
individual.

Peter Trei
trei at process.com