Securing ActiveX.

John Fricker jfricker at vertexgroup.com
Mon Dec 16 21:24:35 PST 1996

>Ray Arachelian (sunder at brainlink.com) said something about Securing ActiveX.
on or about 12/16/96 11:08 AM

>On Sat, 14 Dec 1996 ichudov at algebra.com wrote:
>
>> Ray Arachelian wrote:
>> >
>> > Until Microsoft secures ActiveX in it's own sandbox and doesn't allow it
>> > to access things it shouldn't, it's not cool.
>> >

>> I do not understand how one can secure ActiveX.
>
>Simple.  Check out Windows NT, under NT you can write/run programs as
>services which log in as an account.  When you do this, that service
>program is limited to the security restrictions of that account.

Not exactly. Win32 API's include the ability for a program to impersonate any
known user. Besides ActiveX (OLE really) has nothing to do with services.

In order to make ActiveX secure there would need to be a virtual machine with
access to a limitted API only. Sound familiar?

>If you're using the NTFS file system and give that account access only to
>one directory, it can't access anything but that directory.  (If you're
>using FAT, this isn't true and the program can read/write/delete anything
>it wants.)  Works quite well.
>
>It can be done under 95 but Microsoft will have to write a Sandbox
>Virtual Machine (a Virtual x86 session whose API's are filtered to
>prevent access to certain things like the file system, and disables
>direct I/O.)  Not that easy under '95, but it already exists for NT.

There is no such thing on WinNT.

>The problem is how to deal with DLL's.  You don't know all
>features/functions of all DLL's.  It may be possible to write a DLL that
>runs outside the sandbox and can act as a proxy to the file system, so
>it's iffy unless you limit the DLL's and services that ActiveX apps talk
>to, and make them all live inside the sandbox.

Why is that a problem? ActiveX components are shipped as discrete objects with
a known DLL like interface. DLL's are unloaded when the load counter is zero so
they don't hang around in memory after the ActiveX job is done. You also cannot
write a "proxy to the file system" in a DLL. That's a special device driver
called a filter. Of course there is this Mark Russinovich fellow that is
showing how this is not exactly true. It is possible to identify all entry
points in a DLL.

--j