ITARs effects (fwd)

Jim Choate ravage at einstein.ssz.com
Sat Dec 14 18:35:29 PST 1996

Hi all,

Forwarded message:

> Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 18:02:49 -0800
> From: "Timothy C. May" <tcmay at got.net>
> Subject: Re: ITARs effects
>
> I certainly can't speak for Phil, but according to everything I have heard,
> and according to several articles that have been written about the events
> surrounding the release of PGP 1.0, Phil most definitely DID NOT place the
> PGP 1.0 software on any kind of ftp site.
>
> (I believe that at that time, circa 1991, Phil did not even have any kind
> of ISP or university Internet access which would have even made this
> possible for him. In fact, I believe it was not until around 1993 that he
> had a stable e-mail account.)

I believe the first site to carry PGP 1.0 was Adelante BBS in Colorado where
Phil was living at the time. I was a user of that site when 1.0 was put
online and made publicaly available. I still have the Amiga disk those files
were d/l'ed on.

Somebody should ask Phil if he put v1.0 on any sites prior to Adelante.

                                                  Jim Choate
                                                  CyberTects
                                                  ravage at ssz.com

Best wishes and happy holidays to you all.