Java DES breaker?

snow snow at smoke.suba.com
Fri Dec 13 18:21:07 PST 1996

Vulis wrote:
> More than one person writes:
> > Vulis wrote:
> > > It would be very foolish to touch any shit that comes out of Cygnus.
> >      Why? (specifically, I am about to try using a GCC port to WinNT, and
> > I would like to know _why_ you think their work is shit).

> First, because it's King John "Lackbrain" Gilmore's company. :-)

     That doesn't say anything about the quality of their work.

> Second, because they hire unqualified people (rather, people whose
> qualifications have nothing to do with the job) and they've already
> fucked up every project they've ever touched.

     Given your statements about Gilmore, can you provide any specifics
about individuals lack of competence in a given area?

> Third, because they steal from the people who originally developed the
> free software by charging money for the non-existent "support".

     How is this "stealing"? The GNU license explicitly (IIRC) allows
this, and it doesn't take anything _away_ from the developer. I don't
see how it is stealing.

> I'm quite happy with MS VC++ for NT. I doubt that Cygnus can do a good job

     Where can I download MS VC++ (Microsoft, now there is a company with a
marvelous reputation for sterling products.) for the cost of my Internet
connection?

> porting gcc to NT. People much better than the assholes at Cygnus have not
> done a great job porting gcc to OS/2. If I want gcc, I just run it on the
> Linux box, or a Sun box.

     I already use Linux, and I need to learn NT, so I would like to have
a compiler, and I can't afford one. It would be nice to be able to learn
one compiler that works under both platforms. I don't do enough programming
to be able to justify MS VC++, and I don't have piles of cash hanging around
waiting for me to throw them at Satan.

> Fuck Cygnus.

     Fuck Shrinkwrapped software.

Petro, Christopher C.