WEB: Yahoo/Firefly Website recommendation service

Dale Thorn dthorn at gte.net
Thu Dec 12 21:55:56 PST 1996

Alexander Chislenko wrote:
> At 06:52 PM 12/11/96 -0800, Dale Thorn wrote:
> >Alexander Chislenko wrote:
> >>   Firefly Network Inc. has just launched a public beta of our website
> >> recommendation service on My Yahoo!  This service is the result of a
> >> partnership between Yahoo! Inc. and Firefly Network, Inc. in application
> >> of Automated Collaborative Filtering (ACF) technology to the Web.[snip]
> The website recommendation uses the feature-guided ACF server that I hoped
> would solve most of the algorithmic problems we encountered in the music
> and movie domains.  I'd be interested to know what you think of it.

Thanks for the reply.  My experience with Firefly #1 has shown that the
people who would most need the service (or need it at all) are the least
likely to benefit from it, which is why I think it's a bad thing, wasting
a lot of valuable time hand-entering data, only to find it doesn't
correlate the more interesting (non-mainstream) data.

I'll try the website service, but my up-front instinct is that it won't
be much better unless the software is a *whole lot* better.