Redlining

Igor Chudov @ home ichudov at algebra.com
Wed Dec 11 10:48:13 PST 1996

E. Allen Smith wrote:

> From:	IN%"mjmiski at execpc.com"  "Matthew J. Miszewski" 11-DEC-1996 03:52:03.23
>
> >This is the essence of, at least, my disagreement with you Red.  I dont
> >agree that redlining doesnt harm people.  You see no harm.  I do.
>
> 	Of course redlining causes harm to those who are redlined... they
> can't get credit. But the same can be said of any system of keeping
> track of who is likely to repay credit; it means that someone who has
> defaulted on past loans won't get future ones. Quite simply, while I
> would agree with you that racism certainly persists (it would be
> difficult for me to grow up in the South and not see this), I would
> argue that you have no evidence for that the basic motivation behind
> redlining is that the people in such areas are less likely to repay
> credit.

The problem is, people can choose what credit history they want to have
(I can be a saver or a spender, for example), but nobody can change the
color of their skin.

This is central point of the theory why discrimination based on credit
histories is OK, while the discrimination based on race is not.

	- Igor.