Aghast..

Will Rodger rodger at worldnet.att.net
Fri Dec 6 13:51:22 PST 1996

Folks - just for the record - the Freeh summary was a CLEAR typo, or at
least vague in its meaning. Someone meant to say Freeh thought it was an
*alienable* right. So much for cute phraseology.

Then again, anyone familiar with the numerous pieces we've run on crypto
would likely have guessed at our meaning. Sen. Conrad Burns, after all, was
#21 on our list.

>     I couldn't believe my eyes when reading through Inter at ctive Week's
> "The Driving Forces of Cyberspace" Top 25 list I saw that Louis J.
> Freeh, Director of the FBI received an Honorable Mention because of him
> supposedly believing that "Encryption is an inalienable right."  I
> suppose that isn't necessarily a lie, but it would need the word "Weak"
> added on to the front in order to qualify it.  Anyway, I was quite
> disappointed in seeing their poor choice of this candidate.

And yes, my face is at least as my hair, right now.......

Will Rodger
Washington Bureau Chief
Inter at ctive Week