The Science Generations

Timothy C. May tcmay at got.net
Fri Dec 6 10:13:06 PST 1996

At 1:12 AM -0800 12/6/96, Dale Thorn wrote:
>Timothy C. May wrote:

>> * Generation 3: The computer generation. The 1970s-80s, who grew up with
>> Commodore PETs and Apple IIs (and some later machines). These are the "new
>> pioneers"  of the 1980s-90s, the Marc Andreesens and the like.
>
>I would guess that those who became and remained successful technically
>(as opposed to becoming "business people") were using HP computers and
>such in the 1970s.  I for one was a heavy user then, and PETs, Apples,
>Radio Shack, etc. computers weren't reliable enough for serious work.

My points were about the _children_ and what they were using when they grew up.

(In fact, note my use of the phrase "who grew up with Commodore PETs and
Apple IIs...")

Indeed, in the 1970s I was using H-P 9825s and DEC PDP 11/34s, but the
teenagers of that decade were, if they were fortunate and energetic, using
PETs, Apple IIs, and the like.

--Tim May

Just say "No" to "Big Brother Inside"