UNR_avl

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Fri Dec 6 09:43:52 PST 1996

12-06-96, NYT:

Compromise on Encryption Exports Seems to Unravel

"We really feel that there has been a bait and switch situation
and I'm not going to be silent about it," said Roel Pieper,
chief executive and vice chairman of Tandem Computers.

A Nov. 15 executive order that transferred export oversight
to Commerce contained several new wrinkles that even previous
industry supporters consider potential deal breakers. For one
thing, the Justice Department would play a consulting role to the
Commerce Department, which industry executives see as giving
law-enforcement officials too big a role in the export process.

And they contend that the order prescribes a system that might
enable law-enforcement officials to unscramble messages
while they are being transmitted, rather than after the
fact, as the IBM compromise had seemed to specify.

-----

http://www.nytimes.com/library/cyber/week/1206encrypt.html

UNR_avl