The Science Generations

Bill Frantz frantz at netcom.com
Thu Dec 5 23:23:50 PST 1996

At  8:44 PM 12/5/96 -0800, Timothy C. May wrote:
>* Generation 1: The kids of the 1920s-40s. The Ernest Lawrences and the
>Robert Noyces, who grew up on farms, repairing tractors and farm machinery.
>They learned about machinery at a direct level. These were the giants of
>the post-war science community, and the founders of modern American chip
>companies.
>
>* Generation 2: The Sputnik generation, of the 1950s-60s. They grew up with
>Gilbert chemistry sets, Erector sets, "All About" books, and with constant
>exposure to nuclear physics, relativily, molecular biology, etc. These were
>the workers who staffed the companies formed by the Noyces and Moores of
>the world, and the young scientists who pioneered the use of computers.
>
>* Generation 3: The computer generation. The 1970s-80s, who grew up with
>Commodore PETs and Apple IIs (and some later machines). These are the "new
>pioneers"  of the 1980s-90s, the Marc Andreesens and the like.

I am definitly from Generation 2.  I have tried to interest my children in
playing with ICs and various electronic pieces.  I have also worked
hand-in-hand with them, rebuilding auto engines and transmissions.  We will
see how it plays out.

Bill Frantz       | The lottery is a tax on    | Periwinkle -- Consulting
(408)356-8506     | those who can't do math.   | 16345 Englewood Ave.
frantz at netcom.com |       - Who 1st said this? | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA