Intellectual dishonesty

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM dlv at bwalk.dm.com
Wed Dec 4 19:41:56 PST 1996

OK - logos claims that he misspelled my name by accient.
Let's give him one more chance.

logos <logos at c2.net> writes:

> Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM <dlv at bwalk.dm.com> wrote:
>
> > LOGOS <logos at c2.net> writes:
> >
> > > Sovereign collegues,
> >
> > You already sound like a jerk.
>
>      Perhaps you should suspend judgment until you have the
> opportunity to evaluate the content of my posts.  What are
> you antagonistic to the use of honorifics?

Because reading fantasyland jargon (like 'Toad Hall') wastes my time.

> > >      I am Logos. I have adopted this pseudonym to conceal my
> > > 'true name'. I want the ideas which I shall be espousing
> > > to stand or fall on their own merits and not on the basis
> > > of biases that my name, sex, ethnicity, etc. might otherwise
> >
> > sexual preferences...
>
>      Yes, that and other catagorizations which are
> irrelevant to the primary focus of this list.

It's funny that you should say this, since Tim May and other prominent
"cypher punks" devote so much attention to their "enemies'" ethnicity and
religion. Recall the attacks on "crazy Russians", "immigrants who abuse
American freedoms", the recent attack on Hispanics, the attacks on Jews,
the attacks on Mormons...

> > That's right. You lack the decorum to spell either my
> > first name or my last name correctly.
>
>      'Decorum' has to do with polite behaviour.  While I
> was certainly remiss in my hasty spelling of your name, it
> was not intentional, therefore not a lack of decorum. I
> do apologize for my negligence. I shall endeavor to spell
> you name correctly in the future.

I find it hard to believe that one misspells "Vulis" as "Vilus"
unintentionally, but I'll give you another chance...

> > "Cypher punks" are a gang of uncouth juveniles
>
>      I'm not sure I understand the relevance of this
> comment. Was it made in response to my error in spelling?

Oops! I accidentally deleted a big chunk of my own article before
sending it out. Sorry. I'll see if I can find it.

> In any case, it is a good example of the informal logical
> fallacy of 'over generalization'. As I understand it, there
> are circa 1000 people subscribed to Cypherpunks.  To paint
> an entire group with such a characterization is both
> illogical and unfair. I also question your use of the

What about painting entire ethnic or religion groups, as Timmy May does?

> word 'uncouth'.  I have seen no posts on Cypherpunks
> that were any more 'uncultured; crude; or boorish' than
> those posted by you.  I am not saying that uncouth posts
> have not been made by others, but it is disingenuous for
> one to judge others by a standard that one does not apply
> to one's self.

You sound like someone who doesn't read this list, but only "reads the logs"
and sees the complaints from the likes of Arsen... I've recently quoted the
selected writings of Paul Bradley, most of which were far more "uncultured;