Culling the proles with crypto anarchy

Jeff Ubois jubois at netcom.com
Tue Dec 3 11:47:36 PST 1996

The numbers quoted in the press were based on a study by the Cato Institute,
"The Work Welfare Trade-Off: An Analysis of the Total Level of Welfare
Benefits by the State" by Michael Tanner, Stephen Moore, and David Hartman,
September, 1995.  It's at
<http://www.cato.org/research/pr-nd-st.html>.

Extracts:

* To match the value of welfare benefits, a mother with two children would
have to earn as much as $36,400 in Hawaii or as little as $11,500 in
Mississippi.

* In New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut, the District of Columbia,
Hawaii, Alaska, and Rhode Island, welfare pays more than a $12.00-an-hour
job--or more than two and a half times the minimum wage.

* In 40 states welfare pays more than an $8.00-an-hour job. In 17 states
the welfare package is more generous than a $10.00-an-hour job.

* Welfare benefits are especially generous in large cities. Welfare
provides the equivalent of an hourly pretax wage of $14.75 in New York
City, $12.45 in Philadelphia, $11.35 in Baltimore, and $10.90 in Detroit.

* In 9 states welfare pays more than the average first-year salary for a
teacher. In 29 states it pays more than the average starting salary for a
secretary. In 47 states welfare pays more than a janitor earns. Indeed, in
the 6 most generous states, benefits exceed the entry-level salary for a
computer programmer.