Programming Errors--NOT

Timothy C. May tcmay at got.net
Mon Dec 2 18:15:45 PST 1996

At 4:43 PM -0800 12/2/96, Weissman, Gregg wrote:

>______________________________ Forward Header
>__________________________________
>Subject: Programming Errors
>Author:  Alan Arndt <aga at intertrust.com> at internet
>Date:    11/19/96 1:50 PM
>
>>From New Scientist, 28 August 93, Feedback column:
>
>"The National Westminster Bank admitted last month that it keeps personal
>information about its customers, such as their political affiliation on
>computer. But now Computer Weekly reveals that a financial institution,
>sadly unnamed, has gone one better and moved into the realm of personal
>abuse. The institution decided to mailshot 2000 of its richest customers,

Cypherpunks understand that protection of one's personal data is best done
by protecting it oneself, not by advocating or relying on laws to limit the
use of data acquired by others.

I mention this because I've noticed many forwardings of messages relating
to the abstract notion of "privacy," with the subtext--at least as I
perceive things--that there "ought to be a law." I'm not saying either Alan
Arndt or Gregg Weissman feel there ought to be laws banning what the bank
did, but this is certainly something I have heard misguided suscribers (and
subscribers) of this list advocating. In the name of privacy, let's pass
some more laws!

It's hardly surprising in an era of massive data bases and ready
availability of much public information--including political affiliations,
if so volunteered by voter-units--that some banks are expanding their data
bases in the manner described. Get used to it, or don't reveal as much.

--Tim May

Just say "No" to "Big Brother Inside"