IP address

Bruce M. bkmarsh at feist.com
Mon Dec 2 16:58:56 PST 1996

On Mon, 2 Dec 1996 ichudov at algebra.com wrote:

> > >What is the risk of publishing your dynamic IP address to a web page while you are on line?  How vulnerable is someone just connected to the internet, w/o any server running? What attacks are feasable? --Internaut
> >
> > Well, if you are running Win95 (all) or 3.1 (w/certain TCP/IP stacks) your
> > machine can be locked up or rebooted at *any* time using just PING!
> >

> Isn't is Unix that is actually vulnerable?

    I have never been able to cause more than a mild performance
degredation by pinging a Windows 95 machine with large packets.  When
testing the idea I kept increasing the packet size until the machine no
longer responded, but the machine still had TCP/IP capabilities (in terms
of transmitting data and forming connections).  Ping flooding is another
matter though.  You probably could cause a larger performance drop.

            [ Bruce M. - bkmarsh at feist.com - Feist Systems, Inc. ]
      "We don't want to get our butts kicked by a bunch of long-haired
        26-year-olds with earrings." -- General John Sheehan on their
                       reasons for InfoWar involvement