FLT 800: From the Rumor Mill...But It Makes Sense.. (fwd)

Alan Horowitz alanh at widomaker.com
Sat Aug 31 22:10:59 PDT 1996

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 21:29:56 -0400
From: Ralph Jennett <jennett at citicom.com>
To: Alan Horowitz <alanh at widomaker.com>
Subject: Re: FLT 800: From the Rumor Mill...But It Makes Sense..

The problem is, from my experience at Roosevelt Roads, the Navy never
conducts live fire exercises without declaring the area of operation
strictly off limits to non-military aircraft.  Also, the 747 would have
shown up WITH ITS TRANSPONDER DATA on the screens on an Aegis ship, so why
would they fire?  And, I didn't think that a P3 pilot would fly around in
controlled air space with his transponder shut off, especially when he might
become a target himself (or just a victum of a mid air collision) if he
isn't squawking.  I suppose the story that you sent could be true, but if it
is, I'm surprised that nothing like that ever happened before, given the
sloppy procedures being followed.  The latest RELEASED data makes it sound
like a bomb in the cabin (row 24, right side) is responsible.  I'm not sure
that I don't believe that, although I am quite suspicious of anything coming
out of the justice department under the current President and Attorney General.