**"OuR" Project press release** (fwd)

jim bell jimbell at pacifier.com
Fri Aug 30 15:26:34 PDT 1996

[stuff deleted]
>> >         Unfortunately, the rocket failed to deploy its recovery systems and
>> > accelerated to over Mach 1 and impacted into the sand dunes several
>> > miles away.  There was a loud sonic boom heard by all that literally
>> > shook the earth.  In fact, instead of the nominal "hole and fin slits"
>> > seen in previous impacts, there was a twenty foot diameter area with
>> > large chunks of sheared earth as if a high energy charge had been
>> > detonated under the ground.  The rocket was not recovered, but several
>> > pieces of metal, fiberglass, and burnt Nomex were found indicating the
>> > ejection charges did in fact fire.
>> >         Once again, the "OuR" Project members wish to express sincere thanks
>> > to all those who listened, donated, and gave their support who were
>> > not specifically named.  This project would not have flown if were not
>> > for the "believers" and the tremendous team spirit.  Only they know
>> > the sweat and the number of hours it takes to fly such a rocket.
>> >                                                         Members of the "OuR" Team
>> -----------------
>> Stu Barrett
>> e-mail: stu at zilker.net

Recommendation for the next one:  Rather than try to brute force  an LEO
from about sea level, how about  lofting the rocket by balloon up to a
starting altitude of, say, 100,000 feet, and letting'er'rip from there?
(this is probably not a new technique...)

Using a hydrogen balloon, a cubic meter of balloon volume would loft 1.2
kilograms at sea level, although only 1/50th of that at 100,000 feet, or 25
grams.  A 700-pound (320 kilogram)rocket would require 12,000 cubic meters of
envelope volume, discounting the weight of the balloon itself, equivalent to
the volume of a cube 25 meters on a side.

Obvious advantages:  First, you're 20 miles closer to an LEO altitude of
about 200 miles or so, a considerable advantage.  Even more important,
my back-of-the-envelope calculation says that at 100,000 feet, you're above
about 98% of the atmosphere.  There'd be a minor advantage if you managed to
find a 300 mph easterly airstream just before launch.

(Derived from the numbers included in the original note, I assume that the
average upward speed is 1000 feet per second, and a top speed of about 2000
feet per second reached at an altitude of about 10,000 feet (Mach 2).   This
peak velocity occurs when the barometric pressure is not greatly different
than sea level, which is a huge waste of energy.    I'd like to see the real
numbers, or at least a simulation.  Could they re-run the simulation for a
starting altitude of 100,000 feet?)

And I don't think they have a prayer of doing an LEO without substantially
increasing the proportion of fuel in the rocket from their current 35%, and
possibly doing a two-stage rocket.

I'd like to hear much more about this.

Jim Bell
jimbell at pacifier.com