Nuke Singapore Back into the Stone Age

Duncan Frissell frissell at panix.com
Fri Aug 30 00:58:33 PDT 1996

At 05:55 PM 8/29/96 -0700, Timothy C. May wrote:

>As to why so many of the criticisms of such crackdowns use "weasel
>language," such as the example Jean-Francois disagrees with, well, this is
>the way the game is played. The alternative to "The government of Singapore
>fails to understand the nature of the Net and could do grievous harm to it"
>is not quite so diplomatic:
>
>"Fucking statists. Time to nuke 'em back to the stone age."

Additionally, such statements are not actually directed at the fascists they
are addressed to.  We are well aware that they won't pay any attention to
them.  They are addressed to private readers.  In that case a good mix of
polite argumentation by EFF-type groups and "nuke 'em 'till they glow then
shoot 'em in the dark" rhetoric from the rest of us is probably the optimal
mix.  The goal is to convince a critical mass of people to choose to
exercise the freedoms they possess because of all our toys here on the Net.
Since people are different, a broad spectrum of argumentation is indicated.

DCF

"What we seek is not the overthrow of the government but a situation in
which it gets lost in the shuffle."