MSIE cryptography

John Hemming - CEO MarketNet johnhemming at mkn.co.uk
Thu Aug 29 11:00:15 PDT 1996

>> Just downloaded the most recent English Version 2.1 for Windows 3.1.
>> This does appear to do the same in terms of no encryption at all after
>> the server hello.
>I understand that some versions of MSIE support SSL level 3. SSL3 includes a
>capability to switch 'cipher suites' in mid-session, or pick one at the start of the
>session. One of the standard cipher suites performs authentication, but not
>encryption. This is consistant with your description.

>Please ensure that the server you are connecting to is not configured for
>authenticate-only. It would be a pity to raise a big ruckus over what may be
>just a mis-configured server.

The server is one which interoperates correctly with Netscape and my
own routines.  It does strike me that this change is potentially the source of
the bug.  However, to have a "locked" symbol on the bottom right hand
of the display would indicate to me as a user that a secure session has
occurred.

For SSL devotees the records sent are:

1.  Client hello (from the client)
2.  Server hello (from the server).
3.  Plaintext data packaged up in SSL records from the client.
4.  The client then accepts plaintext data packaged up in SSL records.

SERVER_VERSION_MSB and
SERVER_VERSION_LSB
indicate version 2 of SSL.

I have not changed the code in any way to deal with version 3 of
SSL making I think the valid presumption that browsers using 3 and
2 should be able to cope with a server using 2.

I shall reboot my system, trace a bit of a session and post that.