SCO giving free licenses to UNIX OpenServer

Adamsc Adamsc at io-online.com
Wed Aug 28 17:19:19 PDT 1996

On Wed, 28 Aug 1996 08:37:26 -0700 (PDT), Eric Murray wrote:

>> Hit www.sco.com

>> Pick What's New
>>
>> Look for UNIX Unbound.
>>
>> Read, Understand, and Delight... Microsoft maybe in trouble at last.

>I doubt it.  People don't use Microsoft products because
>of their quality or functionality.

OTOH, it might get people to play around with another alternative to NT.

>> This is for single user home based UNIX systems.

>Single-user UNIX isn't all that useful.

>Linux and FreeBSD are both free, and come with source code.
>You can get "commercial" versions of Linux for around $30
>(that's on CDROM).  You can get support for Linux, and probably
>for FreeBSD.

True.  However, if you have odd-ball hardware (like my RAID controller) it
*will* come with an SCO driver.  I'd have to write my own to use it under
Linux.

/ If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.
/ Home: Chris Adams <adamsc at io-online.com> | http://www.io-online.com/adamsc/adamsc.htp
/ Autoresponder: send email w/subject of "send resume" or "send PGPKEY"
/ Work: cadams at acucobol.com | V.M. (619)515-4894 | (619)689-6579
/ Member in good standing of the GNU whirled hors d'oeuvre