Hayek (was: Cato Institute conference on Net-regulation)

Timothy C. May tcmay at got.net
Wed Aug 28 01:08:35 PDT 1996

At 4:26 AM 8/28/96, Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM wrote:
>Senile tcmay at got.net (Timothy C. May) rants:
>> Indeed, Hayek has had a _lot_ to do with the Cypherpunks! From "The Road to
>> Serfdom" to "Law, Legislation, and Liberty," his works have exerted a
>> profound influence on me, and on many others.
>
>But he's fucking unreadable.  I plan to teach economic this semester and
>make every student read Hazlitt (economics in 1 lesson). I can't force them
>to read hayek (or Rothbard) because they're fucking unreadable. Shit.

Well, to one who inserts "(spit)" after nearly every name he cites, and
critiques Hayek as "fucking unreadable. Shit.," I suppose Hayek must indeed
seem unreadable. Shit.

After all, Hayek rarely writes things like: "The senile Von Mises (spit)
and his Sovok Cabal plotters...."

As to "forcing" your students to read Hayek, just who is in charge? If
you're the instructor, they can choose to read what you tell them to read,
or be unprepared on the exams you give and possibly flunk the class. What
part of "Required Reading" do you or your students not understand?

--Tim (spit) May