Net Politics

Jonah Seiger jseiger at cdt.org
Tue Aug 27 10:25:52 PDT 1996

At 6:52 PM 8/26/96, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>Jonah,
>
>I had expected some negative feedback from CDT, but I should say I was
>surprised by the tenor of your response.

I am going to try and resist the tasty-looking flame bait you have dangled
in front of me here because we both have more important things to deal
with, and because Seth Finkelstein summed up this argument perfectly:

"One more round of 'work within the system' vs 'up against the wall!'," he
said.

This is an important debate that unfortunately seems to be dividing the
net.community when we most need to be united. All of us working on
net-policy issues share a common vision and goals - promoting the free flow
of information, preserving and enhancing First Amendment values and
protecting individual privacy. There are, for better or worse, many
different views on the best way to accomplish those objectives, and the
debate over who has the right tactics seems to frequently escalate in to
religious war.

Meanwhile, our opponents are well organized, determined, and do a much
better job of keeping their internal strategic differences to themselves.
Perhaps this is part of the reason they keep kicking our butts all over
town.

Jonah

  ** THE FIGHT FOR FREE SPEECH ONLINE CONTINUES TO THE SUPREME COURT **
      It's not too late to be a part of history -- Join the Lawsuit
         <http://www.cdt.org/ciec>   --    <ciec-info at cdt.org>

--
Jonah Seiger, Policy Analyst           Center for Democracy and Technology
<jseiger at cdt.org>                           1634 Eye Street NW, Suite 1100