[noise]Re: The grey lady puts on some boots and rides a horseman or two...

Bill Stewart stewarts at ix.netcom.com
Tue Aug 27 04:32:51 PDT 1996

Another interesting connection is that John Aristotle Phillips
is the former Princeton student who designed an atom bomb
as his junior physics project.  (He wasn't a brilliant physicist -
he was trying to save his grade point average by doing a good paper :-)
Senator Feinstein, of course, is a leader in the "Bomb Info Off Lists"
movement....

At 07:45 AM 8/22/96 -0700, Declan wrote:
>I met Polly's father at the "Kids off Lists" press conference in front of
>the Capitol in June. He's an irascable fellow, and there's more to the
>story than you might think at first.
>http://www.muckraker.com/muckraker/96/24/index3a.html
>The report drove Representative Bob Franks (R-New Jersey) and Senator
>Dianne Feinstein (D-California) to introduce the "Children's Privacy
>Protection and Parental Empowerment Act." The idea is to keep kids'
>names off direct marketing lists. It's a good concept, but it's short
>on focus and long on fear - the fear that gathering such information
>can lead to child abuse or worse.
>But there's a subplot here. The actual driving force and financial
>backer of KOL is John Phillips, who runs Aristotle Publishing, a
>political software company in Washington, DC. Phillips, as it turns
>out, has been in a kind of run-and-shoot legal battle with Donnelley
>for the past five years, according to an article in the Washington City
>Paper, an alternative weekly published in DC.

#			Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, +1-415-442-2215 stewarts at ix.netcom.com
# <A HREF="http://idiom.com/~wcs"> 	Reassign Authority!