Sen. Leahy's "impeccable cyberspace credentials"

Declan McCullagh declan at eff.org
Mon Aug 26 23:01:06 PDT 1996

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 18:52:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: Declan McCullagh <declan at eff.org>
To: Jonah Seiger <jseiger at cdt.org>
Cc: shabbir at vtw.org, fight-censorship at vorlon.mit.edu, brock at well.com,
    telstar at wired.com
Subject: Re: INFO: Democratic convention chats online! Be there! (8/25/96)

Jonah,

I had expected some negative feedback from CDT, but I should say I was
surprised by the tenor of your response.

Unfortunately, you don't address the substance of my criticisms of Leahy:
how can you defend Leahy's avowed support for Digital Telephony and the
copyright legislation? How do his actions make him a "forceful" and
"consistent advocate" with "impeccable cyberspace credentials?"

(Hint: They don't. He isn't.)

You write that: "Of course we are not going to agree with our friends on
every issue." But I disagree with your underlying assumption; if a senator
is our "friend," they won't do what Leahy does. Being familiar with
technology does not a Net-advocate make -- take Al Gore, for instance, who
net-surfs in an Old Executive Office building cluster...

If I'm wearing any hat at all right now, it's my cypherpunk one. And that
prompts me to say that we'll have more freedom online not by relying on
the legislative process, but by deploying pro-freedom technology like
anonymous remailers and PGP. We can't rely on an ossified Beltway
Bureaucracy to preserve our freedoms. (In fact, we need to shrink the size
of the Federal bureaucracy drastically to make it less susceptible to
special-interest lobbying and to reduce its ability to encroach upon our
civil liberties.)

We've argued about this before, of course. I recognize that we have core
philosophical disagreements. You want to work the legislative process and
compromise, while I believe that some rights can't be negotiated away. I
recall you supported White's "Harmful to Minors" CDA compromise that would
have created a new and unprecedented category of speech crimes online.
(The ACLU's Barry Steinhardt wrote on this list last fall that "no true
civil liberties organization" would support such language.) You joined
Leahy in supporting the Bennett bill, which would have permitted Equifax
to create a national medical database with few privacy safeguards. Not to
mention your defense of Leahy's pet Digital Telephony project...

You write: "But none of them [members of Congress] are gong to continue
reaching out a hand to us if we bark and bite when we don't get 100% of
our way." I'm confused by this. Does it mean we shouldn't slam Leahy when
he fucks with the Net? More disturbingly, the incorrect and misleading
label of "impeccable cyberspace credentials" makes it more difficult to
criticize Leahy when he does something (like DT funding or copyright) that
harms netizens.

I suppose you'd like to champion Leahy as a "Friend of the Net." But I'd
rather not ignore his attempts to pass legislation that would hinder the
development of the Net and intrude on our privacy.

I reiterate my earlier statement: "Leahy is in no way a true friend of the
Net; I don't know of any Beltway politican who is."

-Declan

// declan at eff.org // I do not represent the EFF // declan at well.com //