NSA's Venona Intercepts

Bill Frantz frantz at netcom.com
Mon Aug 26 16:59:54 PDT 1996

At 10:49 AM 8/26/96 -0600, Rick Smith wrote:
>One question that I haven't found answered in my perusals of the site is a
>definitive statement of the cryptographic technology used by the Soviets.

I haven't revisited the site to check, but I distinctly remember a
statement to the effect that the system was a one time pad system.
However, due to a mistake somewhere in the chain, some of the one time pads
were used twice.  The resulting two time pad system gave NSA the wedge they
needed to recover what they have.

Bill Frantz       | Cave ab homine unius lebri | Periwinkle -- Consulting
(408)356-8506     |  [Beware the man of one    | 16345 Englewood Ave.
frantz at netcom.com |   book]  - Anonymous Latin | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA