"Freedom on Trial," from October 1996 Playboy

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Thu Aug 22 14:26:03 PDT 1996

[Some excerpts follow. Pick up the October issue for the full article. --Declan]

Playboy, October 1996
"Freedom on Trial: how the communications decency act played in court"

By Declan McCullagh (declan at well.com)

Day 1 (March 21)

In the shadow of the Liberty Bell in downtown Philadelphia, the future of
online liberty is being decided. A panel of federal judges has gathered
to hear a challenge to the Communications Decency Act, which bans
"indecent" or "patently offensive" material from being transmitted or
displayed online where minors might access it. That means just about
anywhere online.

[...]

Day 2 (March 22)

A key witness today is Robert Croneberger of the Carnegie Library of
Pittsburgh. The judges are pleased with his description of the
Internet as a library -- finally, someone who isn't using technobabble.
Croneberger testifies about the difficulties and expense of implementing
the CDA, noting that his library would have to hire 180 people to review
and censor the 2 million listings in its catalog. Russotto, the
government lawyer, is skeptical. During her cross-exam, she tries to make
the case that the job wouldn't be so difficult as Croneberger portrays it.

Q: Can you do a keyword search through your catalog for words related to
sex or for the seven dirty words [to find material to restrict]?